Sue Cox

Sue Cox

Monday 11 August 2014

What a weekend!

Just back from the World Humanist Congress in Oxford, and from saying goodbye to the delightful couple Sani and Shanti Gurung from Nepal that I was hosting.
I was very sad that the conference was over, not only hearing the wonderful and moving inspirational speakers but chatting with and sharing it all with old friends and new,  such lovely, like minded people.
My friend Shanti from Nepal and her husband were such a joy, and they opened my eyes again to what is REALLY important in life. They had such wonderful humour and dignity, wanted to share the chores and the small expenses, told us about their lives and listened to ours, and made me feel really humble.Within two days they felt like family.
Shanti had never seen a dishwasher! and doesn’t have a washing machine, no microwaves, no coffee machines, no food mixer or processor, no juicer. freezer etc. But it was just a source of interest to her, certainly NOT envy! Suddenly my fairly normal kitchen felt a bit overcrowded and a bit indulgent.
I remember once, years ago my son Patrick went to Russia, and was so shocked when realising that people of his age had so very little access to things he took for granted.He said when he came back that he “felt fat” he got into his “fat car” and went to his “fat flat” and went about his “fat life” His observations stuck in my head.
Shanti says she is well off, she has enough money to live and so she is able to spend her time doing “social work” for women, those who she say are very poor, have no property no money, no status and because of their poverty and lack of education are accused of witchcraft. She runs a co-operative lending women small amounts of money for entrepreneurial projects, making clothes, tailoring, hairdressing, etc. and they in turn help other women. She goes out into the mountain regions for days on end staying with these women teaching them about their rights and caring for themselves to “start to believe they really are “human beings”!
They gave me this wonderful clock they had made from bamboo with the Humanist emblem, which I will treasure,and many happy memories.
I am in awe of her. It was ME who was envious!
I heard many more inspiring people, from Africa, from Asia, South America, as well as Europe. People in real physical danger for speaking out about the appalling injustices in their countries.
Conference speakers are always wonderful, and of course  they are there usually not only because they are interesting, they are also able to speak in public, but  it is talking  to them afterwards that I love, and  for me it is always the “real” people that have taught me such a lot. Chatting with the lady from Gambia who is trying to stop female genital mutilation, the girl from Uganda who has been fighting for women’s rights, and the everyday people who were all there to support them. 
Such weighty and emotive subjects discussed, important issues raised - too many to talk about, and wonderfully interspersed with music, poetry and dance, and all in the beautiful and historic city of Oxford, where I imagine “Morse” will round the corner any moment!

Big names of course - always nice to hear Professor AC Grayling  Richard Dawkins, Steven Law, Peter Tatchell, Jim Al Khalili  and my own particular favourite Professor Peter Atkins (who always inspires me and makes me want to learn even more science!)
Lots of nice book stalls, a beautiful “Atheist Shoe” seller! 
(I bought my grandson these “atheist” shoes!)
Lots of nice food and drinks (for those who do!) The whole of the beautiful Ashmolean for a drink reception and private viewing. 
Most importantly Food for THOUGHT!
Wonderful people who  put all my moans and groans into perspective.

An injection of gratitude and humility that I hope I have absorbed and will not lose sight of. 

No comments:

Post a Comment