Sue Cox

Sue Cox

Sunday 19 March 2017

Nearly Mother's day!


Getting near to "Mothers Day" always is lovely, I have such wonderful kids and they all  make such a fuss of me, mostly undeserved  I am sure.
But as it is looming, it makes me think about my own Mother, the one that adopted me that is, (well, bought me actually!) She was a very complex and difficult woman, a singer with a lovely contralto voice. She  should have been on the stage, I am sure she was a frustrated actress, but she compensated for not being there by being  a perpetual "performer", you never knew who she really was, and certainly you could never believe 99 per cent of the stories she told.  I suppose in my way I loved her, she was all I knew. But she was extremely cruel,  a passed master at emotional blackmail and guilt and shame inducement. She frightened me more than anyone I have ever known.
She was totally obsessed with the catholic church, and our lives revolved around it and it's calendar, in fact our home was a shrine in itself, statues and "holy" pictures everywhere,"the Sacred Heart" "The infant of Prague" "our lady of Sorrows" and a really scary portrait of a crucified jesus who had eyes that either opened or closed depending on where you looked at it! 
Crucifixes everywhere, and even a "holy water" font at the front door that we had to "bless" ourselves with every time we went in (or out ) of the door!
Babies that had not been baptised floated around "Limbo" for all eternity. Hearing a ringing in your ears meant that the "Holy Souls" in purgatory were in need of prayers (purgatory being the place that you went to after death  if you were not quite ready (good enough) to go to heaven, but not quite bad enough to go to hell)
If you prayed for the holy souls at their ear ringing request quickly enough, then you could chop a bit of time off your own purgatory!
We should revere the clergy, they were next to God and could do no wrong, they had "sacred hands" and it was a "blessing" every time one of them crossed your doorstep! (some blessing)
I could go on and on!
I can actually never remember her actually DOING anything for anyone, helping someone out, or giving to charity (Unless it was a catholic missionary!) Never remember a good turn, a sympathetic gesture,  just endless judgment and bigotry.
I can't help wondering if she and her equally deluded sisters had ever got up from their knees and put as much effort into actually DOING something good for someone else,  as they did drooling over the priests and the church, they could have been a real force for good, as it
happened they chose instead to waste all those  opportunities for good and use their limited time on Earth feeding  that voracious and insatiable monster which is the catholic church. And I might actually have better  memories on Mothers day! (I might even have been a better Mother myself.) 
am however, in absolute awe of my two daughters who have both made a wonderful job at being Mums and will now pass that on to their children, and  because of them  that wretched circle is  well and truly broken! 
So when the day actually gets here I will really have something to celebrate!

No comments:

Post a Comment