Sue Cox

Sue Cox

Thursday 9 August 2012


A Long time ago, I went with my husband to a large  art exhibition.(My husband is an artist) There were lots of artists there, many dealers and suppliers etc. One of the prominant groups was the “foot and mouth” painters, they were all doing just that, painting either with their feet or mouths.They had a variety of disabilities, some had no arms, or no legs others had neither. I was absolutely in awe of them, and I have to admit that their bravery and obvious humour brought tears to our eyes. There was not a hint of self pity.
I stood behind one beautiful young lady who had no limbs, who was propped up on her seat and was frantically painting with the brush in her mouth.I saw that her neck  muscles were incredibly taught, and well developed and actually looked quite painful.
I asked her “does your neck get very stiff and painful?” She said “Yes a does! i have a massage on my neck every day, because I have to do everything with it so I need to keep it supple and it helps a lot” She was smiling and telling me this in a very matter of fact way.
I said (through my silly tears) “I think you are incredibly brave”. and she then turned around and said (laughing!)   “ No I am not, I just have to work with what I have got!
What a lesson! what a profound bit of wisdom!  “I just have to work with what I have got “ Theres no doubt that we all have damage to a lesser or greater degree. And we all have the tendency sometimes to bewail our losses and limitations.Loss of our childhood, self esteem, ability to form relationships, fear  guilt etc. Some can be fixed, with work and some simply can not!
But I hope next time I feel sorry for myself, I will remember that I just have to work with what I’ve got! (and make the best of it!)

No comments:

Post a Comment