Sue Cox

Sue Cox

Saturday 2 May 2015

A Kick in the Ass


Many years ago when I began my recovery, I was told by a close friend that as long as I stayed "grateful" I would stay sober and clean and be OK. (not in the same vein or  as cringe making as the "glad" game of course) 
And I  am not always grateful! sometimes I get get complacent, sometimes I take the many good things in my life for granted, sometimes I moan and whinge about minutiae and forget that where I came from and where I am now is a quantum leap. I forget I didn't ever do it alone, many people have helped and inspired me along the way, many still do!
It is when something else happens that I remember what I was told about gratitude, a metaphoric kick in the ass seems sometimes to be needed. Like the time I first met my deaf and speech impaired friends from Verona, listening to their stories, but more than anything, seeing their dignity and humour, despite their abuses,  reminded me, being involved with other cruelly damaged brave individuals reminds me, going to Poland and being with my friends as they were screamed at by ignorant bigoted catholics reminded me.
And now  the terrible earthquake in Nepal.
Last year I was priveleged to host some Nepalese delegates to  the World Humanist conference, and met many others in their party.Utterly delightful people, and so inspiring. Some of the humanitarian work they all do, the generosity of spirit despite Nepal being one of the poorest countries, made my small efforts  seem paltry. I was so pleased to have met them and we became firm friends.With our invitations to go to Nepal and for my husband to go fishing in the highest lake in the World, they left us with lovely memories. They also gave me this beautiful clock, made of bamboo, it is on the wall near my desk,so  I look at it all the time. 


And now I hear of the devastation in that beautiful country, knowing that even if my friends are safe, they face  terrible difficulties , but still they are getting a few messages out, a few messages getting out, and they are taking time to reassure me!!! 
It makes my heart ache and I am reminded again. I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment