Sue Cox

Sue Cox

Wednesday 3 December 2014

A "New breed of survivor"?





I had a conversation with a lawyer friend this week who remarked that " There is  a new breed of survivor coming up - "They seem to want to bash everything"!
(I don't THINK he was including me, but who knows! or cares !!!)
But it did make me think about it.
Is that REALLY what is happening? Are people REALLY knocking everything in sight?
Or is it that there is a "new breed" of empowered survivor coming up that has  simply had enough crap!
I think he may have been  referring to those who are disapproving of the U.K. "Govt.enquiry", which  has quite rightly been criticised for the way the formation of the group has been handled, without any consultation with anyone of note, and then having made appallingly  poor choices of chairpersons with "history" and lack of integrity, and then the  way that  many people are jostling for position.
He may also have been   referring to the way some of us  criticise this  dreadful "cottage industry" that is springing up around these tragedies, everyone creating yet another "charity" everyone looking for a job! 
Maybe he meant the way many of us,  at all costs , avoid any involvement with the churches etc. who are feeling "entitled"  to be consulted and included in the healing process, despite being the criminals.
Perhaps he meant those who don't feel the need to join a group of mutual "victims"  but  prefer to trust their own hard wired  instincts, not wanting to hand over even a small part of their power again after  already having had it ripped away from them?
Or is it that some of us are just sick and tired of exploitation? Sick and tired of others feeling that they can speak for us, (ALL of us!) Sick of survivors being manipulated  or  disregarded as others elevate themselves either for their own agenda, or political gain?
Are we not now saying ENOUGH!
As survivors we are not clones, we are unique irreplaceable individuals and have many differences. There are also of course a lot of similarities!
One of things we do have is a very rare strength! We have survived those bastards and are alive to tell the tale. It has, however left residual scars, of that there is  no doubt. 
Our “trust barometers” are destroyed, and many of us have  spent a lifetime desperately trying to fit into a world that we no longer feel a part of.
I cannot remember a time when I haven't been looking for a "pack"to belong to, I have joined many organisations and groups, many that I felt I could be part of, and it is rare that I am not disillusioned! Because I am so extremely hyper-vigilant! I have a super (some might say overly!)  tuned "Bullshit Detector."
Having been damaged so badly, I am highly tuned now in to danger signals , and I soon pick up on people that aren't quite what they appear to be. I always seem to be looking for the "baddie" and it gives me no pleasure to say that  I nearly always find them!
I am constantly looking for purity, for something which is authentic, and if it isn't - then  I WILL knock it! regardless of who it is.
It is both a survival technique and a curse!
But I will make NO excuses for it! 
Authenticity and absolute integrity are the key. (which is why we in our "family"  in SVE are so precious to each other!)
Our survival skills are not innate, they have been honed by dreadful adversity and are what have allowed us to survive, we act from a position of extreme pain. We can never come from any other position.We are often fighting for our lives.
~So if  I hear survivors saying NO! to what others perceive to be good for them, if I hear them criticising flaky practises or ego trips, In fact if I hear them spitting and cursing about injustices, even throwing their rattles out of their prams, then I think that everything is as it should be!  Bravo to them! They have been silenced too long!
Every time we hand a bit of our power  over to someone else, regardless of how they consider themselves "helping" us, unless they pass the "bullshit test "or the "authenticity meter"  we are still easily  manipulated and remain defined only by  our abuses.
We are MORE than that! We are not totally defined by our abuses, we are multifaceted individuals.  
Having been subjugated  for so long, and to then at last find our voice, we WILL use it!
And use it to whittle out the bullshit!
Anyone who doesn't  recognise that and indeed celebrate it  has no place in my  world!




2 comments:

  1. "Hear! Hear!" "Order! Order! The Home Secretary will speak now...."

    Sue, have you thought of becoming an MP? Can we vote you into 'the Lords'? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see your work as unconditional love, which is caring honesty basically. And honesty requires maturity, strength and commitment.

    ReplyDelete