Sue Cox

Sue Cox

Wednesday 9 December 2015

The biggest “con” of all.



I am always on the look out for the big “lie”. That, as I have said many times before, is a legacy from my abusive past, and a result of my trust barometers being set to “hyper-vigilant” and thankfully so, that was my survival instinct kicking in, and saving me from further abuses.
I grew up with all of the veneers that were expected of someone who should be “seen” as a “good catholic”, regardless of what one actually did! It seemed that nothing was really as sinful as being seen to be less than superior to everyone else who had the “misfortune” to NOT belong to that church!
But as I came into a real recovery, when the veils were one by one lifted from my eyes, after the wasted years of being  in the grips of this narcissistic organisation, and spending  years trying to make sense of my existence, I have come to understand that the biggest CON of all is the religion itself!
There is no greater marketing trick than taking something that is freely available to anyone and everyone, claiming it, branding it, re packaging it  and then selling it back to them  to make it appear more valuable!
A bit like taking  the air that you are free to breathe and bottling it ,telling you that it can’t be bought anywhere else and then selling it back to you!
I am specifically talking about the church’s ludicrous claim that they have the monopoly on “Goodness” that they are the keepers of morality! 
I have lost count of how many times I have heard deluded religious people say “Without religion we would have no moral compass, there would be rapists and murderers everywhere”! WTF! 
To say this is insulting is an understatement, but it is nothing compared  to the ruthless cleverness of that almighty CON!
Human beings ARE a benevolent species, it is our natural inclination to be altruistic,  that is part of what it means to be a human being with empathy and shared concerns.
No church of any flavour ever gave us those desires, NATURE did that, evolution did that, and science explains it! 
Not only have they tried to claim it, brand it and repackage it to sell it back to us with threats and fear tactics, but I would go so far as to say that the church actually stifles our natural ability and inclination to do the right thing!
Their man made rules and dogmas, their distorted  attitude to all things sexual, their greed and desperate need for power flies in the face of the altruistic human being.   
That is,  I think the biggest con of all! 
I am so grateful today to have  thrown off the shackles of that slavery and can spend what is left of my life knowing that I am made of stardust, that I am a unique and irreplaceable part of the Universe and that it is not only easy to be “Good without god” but it is our true nature as  human beings.
Mine wasn’t an easy road, for many years I was desperate to “belong” - another natural desire for a human being, and one which the church has used to enslave people for millennia.
Who knew that it was all there for the taking, I DID belong all the time to the HUMAN RACE!







1 comment:

  1. “Human decency is not derived from religion. It precedes it.”
    ― Christopher Hitchens, God is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything

    ReplyDelete