Sue Cox

Sue Cox

Wednesday 26 November 2014

The pedophile next door






BBC radio asked me to watch last night's channel four documentary "The Pedophile Next Door" and then they would telephone me to discuss it live today.
So I watched it, and often I don't watch everything like this, usually for my own sanity! The same as I don't always watch programmes about addiction, I always find they either get it wildly wrong and it pisses me off, or they get it right, in which case I don't need to watch it!
So I watched the programme and then they phoned to ask my thoughts. The first thought was that the interviewer was like a bloody red coat in a holiday camp! as much depth and gravitas as a candy floss, and that was irritating, and  inevitably her questions came from a candy floss thought process which was even more irritating!
The programme itself had some  merit, but had an awful  lot of low points too. The central theme was about a "pedophile"  Eddie, who  came forward on camera and said he didn't ever  "act out" and complained that there is no "help out there" for people like him.
There was a dubious research person who said she had lost her job because her research had found that there were many "pedophiles" like Eddie  who needed help before  they begin to offend, and seemed to think this is a new angle, and one that had gained her some controversy. She seemed to berate the parents in estates where known pedophiles live for rioting and "witch hunting" 
But here is the thing!
It is our evolutionary imperative to protect our young. It is primal and normal and correct. Parents are bound to react violently when they feel their children are vulnerable. When we stop doing that we are de humanised.
It is also correct that pedophiles "cannot help" having sexual feelings towards children.That is what they do.
But in the absence of a magic wand,  and knowing that pedophiles cannot change their predilections, we have mental  health services and the laws of the land, which should be given more "teeth" and a natural abborhance to crimes against children. 
The programme  wheeled out  a couple of survivors , as usual, for their perspective, and that never fails to make me cry, triggers pressed and heart breaking as I listened to what to us is a familiar pattern. 
I must have seen hundreds of these documentaries, and it is always the brave survivors I empathise with.  In fact that was pretty much the  bit of the 
programme that was of most value, showing the true face of abuse, but usually  these programmes it is the survivors set the scene and then the others exploit them. 
One survivor was asked to meet with Eddie and  I am afraid then I really started to balk. This is reminiscent of those who constantly ask if we can "forgive" our rapists, and when told NO! we are then the "baddies" and are blamed for OUR lack of compassion!
I found the whole thing quite confusing, and I didn't come away feeling optimistic about it.
There is always someone who thinks they have found a magic wand, a new angle a different slant.
I was then asked if I now "understood " more about pedophiles!!!!!! - PLEASE ! I understand from a very dark place indeed!
I do not need  to bloody understand them any more ! I just need for them to be contained, given therapy where possible to keep them from acting out their desires, and I need for them to face the consequences of any of their actions. I need for the institutions who harbour and protect them to face the full weight of the law. And I want everyone to be aware of the real  severity of the damage to the victims of abuse.
I do NOT need  for them to be portrayed as martyrs.  
I cannot factor them into my world.
I can also  "understand"  psychopaths, sociopaths terrorists, thieves  and rapists, and I  cannot factor them into my world either.
My fear is that the kind of mixed messages will result in a distorted view of child abuse , like in a report from the US this week, where some pedophiles are complaining that they are not being treated fairly when homosexuals  are "loved and respected"!!!!  (WTF!)
It all made me renew my resolve  that  as Ton and I decided long ago,  our contribution as Survivors Voice Europe would remain  the connections with,  and the empowerment of survivors!


No comments:

Post a Comment