Sue Cox

Sue Cox

Friday 14 February 2014

Happy Valentines!


Happy Valentines day everyone!
I have had several people say to me over the last few days that they  think Valentines day is stupid, a waste of money, all hogwash and just a money spinner for card manufacturers! 
Well all of that may be so, but I can't help feeling that ANY day that gives me an opportunity to tell MY valentine how wonderful he is should not be passed up.
All the radio requests today and messages I have seen on FB seem to say that they have the best partner in the world, but I know of course,  that cannot be true because I have have got him!
My husband Gez is an unsung hero, he is my rock and my comfort and his qualities are too many to count.
He "found" me thirty years ago and we knew we could not live without each other from that moment. (slushy eh?) But true.
He saddled himself with me, and all my baggage, I had six kids, he had none, I had been married to someone violent for years, he had several nice girlfriends, I think most  men would have run a mile!  He married me and has looked after me ever since.
He was there when my son died, when my daughters got married, when my other son "came out" as a gay man, and when one had a terrible illness.
He camped out in the hospital when I had an  operation, never leaving my side - to the extent that the nursing staff  had to feed him , he even bought a book about my condition so he knew what to do to care for me!
He listened to me recount the details of my abuses on National Television, and never flinched,  and was there by my side when I went to Rome and met my Survivor family. He hears me rant and scream about the injustices and supports me with the fight.
He was in the vatican to hear Lombardi waffle and lie, and does a wonderful impression of him! He cried  with me when we heard the horrific stories from our  deaf Verona friends, and loves them like I do. He has embraced my Survivor family as well as my own children.
He created my garden, so I would have a place of "peace" to come home to,  and he cooks beautiful meals for me as I work such long hours and would probably not bother eating!
He paints beautiful pictures for me of places and people I love, and recently he disappeared for a morning without telling me, because he had been to Nick's grave and cleaned it with acid to make it white again, because he knew I hated to see it fade.
He makes me laugh and dries my tears, and I KNOW he would die for me!
 So the dozen red roses I had from him this morning were beautiful, but not a patch on all the other gifts he gives me.
He is a fabulous cook, an amazing artist, and a brilliant drummer!
Of course, when I met him I didn't know any  of this, I just thought he had a lovely smile and a very nice backside!

1 comment: