Sue Cox

Sue Cox

Sunday 18 June 2017

Passion


I have been teaching now in the substance misuse field for 23 years, and have personally taught 15,000 health care workers. I have taught in 128 UK prisons, as well as the Health service, community drug and alcohol services, mental health services and military mental health.

I don't go to conferences, I don't advertise, I don't "sell" my ideas,  because I just simply want to do the work!

My main loyalty is not anything to do with   kudos, acupuncture, or anything other than  the very BEST authentic treatment for addicts, like me, and survivors of abuse, also like me. I am also committed to the people I have taught and continue to teach, they have in truth taught me so much!

When I hear of things  being done badly or in a mediocre way, or to make money, using addicts or abuse survivors  as a commodity, I feel something akin to a "primal scream" It is physical, it hurts, it could be me!

I got upset recently when I heard of something that smacks of exploitation, and I turned to one of my very wise friends and fellow "travellers" who gave me his very sage wisdom "F... them" he said, "don't let people live rent free in your head"! "Just do what you have always done , keep your side of the street clean, always do the next right thing and let everyone else get on with it"!

Of course he was right, which is why I always turn to him in times of turmoil! Thankyou (again) Richard Kingdon!

Mine isn't just a job, it is a passion! And when I think it might be threatened I feel very unsettled.

Throughout my life though, it has always been people of passion that have helped me most, helped me get sober, helped me through enormous difficulties, held my hand in times of despair, because it also mattered to them, It has not been any  "words of wisdom" from people who relish the chance to spout, or feel they have superior knowledge, but the fellow "travellers"with their simple but very profound wisdom.

Their lessons are in compassion and honesty.
My wish is to  be more like them! 


No comments:

Post a Comment