Sue Cox

Sue Cox

Tuesday 17 February 2015

Super Power!



I read something today where someone  remarked how  it was so “difficult” to work with survivors of abuse-  because even after years and years  “they still  have HUGE mistrust”
And your point is? Your expectations what?
It may  be difficult for you to “work with” but it is a bloody sight harder to live with!
Try being constantly on “ hyper alert “, in “fight or flight”  mode perpetually,.
Try NOT to see people as threatening when everything in your being is screaming RUN!
Try living your entire life, feeling unworthy.. 
Try feeling isolated from the rest of the Human race because of  dark and shameful secrets.
Try being made to feel shame and embarrassment when you finally try and speak about your damage.
Try being shunned when you keep quiet, and shunned when you speak out
Try watching what happened to you and others like you played out on televisions or newspapers to be  scrutinised and judged.
Try being doubted, dismissed, alienated.
Try managing despite those burdens to find a way to stay alive and forge some kind of decent existence, even make a valuable contribution.
Then TRY and listen to some bloody idiot say “you are “difficult” to work with”
The thing about mistrust is far deeper and far reaching than those few words portray.
That I learned far too early that people could be cruel and untrustworthy, hypocritical and veneered with outward benevolence, only served to make me trust NO-ONE and to look after myself.
The fact that I have done that, and I still do that may be “difficult” to work with - but it is my survival skill you sanctimonious prat!   My own personal  “Super Power!” 

Don’t even THINK about taking that from me! 

1 comment: